The Department of Foreign Affairs, through its Philippine diplomatic and consular establishments, is responsible for the administration abroad of Philippine immigration laws and regulations.

Aliens wishing to enter the Philippines need to apply for a visa to the Philippines. A visa means an endorsement made on a passport or travel document by the consular officer denoting that the visa application has been properly examined and that the holder is permitted to proceed to the Philippines. The visa thus issued is not a guarantee that the holder will be admitted into the country. Admission of aliens is a function of the immigration authority at the port of entry.

As a general rule, all incoming foreign passengers must be in possession of a travel documents valid for at least six (6) months beyond the intended state in the Philippines

Visas are issued to aliens falling under the following categories:

  1. Non-immigrants
  • Temporary Visitors – visitors coming for business, pleasure, medical treatment, training, attendance in conferences, meetings and workshop/seminars; visitors on board private yacht/ sailboat; persons visiting for the purpose of making a movie or film documentary; journalists, athletes and performing artists
  • Aliens in transit
  • Alien seamen
  • Treaty traders/investors
  • Accredited officials of foreign government, their families and attendants
  • Alien students and Foreign Nationals taking short-term non-Degree course
  • Pre-arranged employees
  • Special non-immigrants granted admission by the President
  • Refugees granted temporary admission by the President
  1. Other Non-Immigrant Visas Allowed Under Special Laws
  • Offshore Banking System Visa under PD 1034
  • Special Investors Residents Visa (SIRV) under EO 226
  • Special Resident Retiree’s Visa under EO 226 (Philippine Retirement Authority)
  • Subic Special Investor’s Resident Visa under RA 7227
  • Subic Special Resident Retiree’s Visa under RA 7227
  • Subic Special Working Visa under RA 7227
  1. Immigrants

Quota Immigrants

    • Preferred Quota Immigrants – Fathers and mothers of Filipino citizens who are 21 years of age or over; wives, husbands and unmarried minor children of permanent resident aliens
    • Non-Preferred Quota Immigrants

Non-Quota Immigrants

    • Duly-accomplished application form (FA Form No. 3)
    • Current passport, valid for at least six months from the date of the anticipated entry into the Philippines
    • Four copies of recent passport-size photos (signed at the back)
    • Certified true copy of birth certificate and marriage certificate, if married
    • Police clearance (based on fingerprint check
    • Documentary evidence of financial capability,
      • Letter from the applicant’s bank
      • Certified true copies of land titles
      • Investment certificates
    • If applicant is a minor, an affidavit of support and consent must also be submitted
    • In case the apllicant is a former Philippine citizen or has lost Philippine citizenship because of marriage to an alien, the following evidence of former Philippine citizenship must be submitted,
      • Old Philippine passport
      • Certified true copies of birth certificate
      • Certificate of naturalization
    • In case the applicant is married to a Filipino citizen, certified true copies of marriage certificate and data page of spouse’s Philippine passport.
    • Medical certificate Form. The form must be accompanied by the following,
      • X-ray film
      • Laboratory reports
      • AIDS test result


Re-entry permits are issued to aliens previously lawfully admitted to the Philippines for permanent residence who wish to depart for temporary visit abroad. A returning resident when in possession of a valid re-entry permit does not need a visa to re-enter the Philippines.

The holder of a re-entry permit which is soon to expire, and who desires its extension must apply for its extension with the Philippine Bureau of Immigration and Deportation.

Applications for extension shall be made within 60 days before the date of expiration of the permit.